This category was one of the toughest to judge last year because all eight women nominated deserved to win. Having past Emmy winners Megan Mullally (Will and Grace) and Laurie Metcalfe (Roseanne) return to the category for rebooted roles, three Saturday Night Live actresses including two-time winner Kate McKinnon trying to defend her crown against Alex Borstein’s career making The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel role, it was a tough race to call (Borstein won). It will be just as tough this year as the category will go highly unchanged compared to last year as Zazie Beetz (Atlanta) the only actress not to return.
My early predictions for Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series:
- Betty Gilpin – GLOW
- Anna Chlumsky – Veep
- Alex Borstein – The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
- D’Arcy Carden – The Good Place
- Kate McKinnon – Saturday Night Live
- Leslie Jones – Saturday Night Live
- Aidy Bryant – Saturday Night Live
- Megan Mullally – Will and Grace
- Laurie Metcalfe – The Conners
- Gillian Anderson – Sex Education
Are any of these comedy actresses on your Emmys radar? Did I forget any?
2019 Emmy nominations will be announced Tuesday, July 16th, get ready for a lot of coverage leading to the final day as potential nominees heat up or cool off.